Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is a non-cancerous enlargement of the prostate that commonly occurs in men over 50 years old. In Malaysia, an estimated 50% of men above 50 years are affected by symptomatic BPH. (1)
The exact causes of BPH aren’t fully known but it is considered as an age-related growth of certain parts of the prostate gland. (1) The prostate goes through two growth phases, once during puberty when the prostate doubles in size, and the second around age 25 years and this phase continues through most of a man’s life. (2)
BPH and the metabolic syndrome(3)
The problem with BPH
While this condition is benign and doesn’t directly harm the patient suffering from it, BPH can affect a person’s life quite significantly. This is due to the symptoms associated with BPH. These symptoms are usually due a blocked urethra or a bladder that is overworked from trying to overcome the blockage. (2)
Treatment of BPH depends on the following (5)
Options for treatment include (2):
Treatment advantages and disadvantages (2) (5)
1. Malaysian Urological Association. Benign Prostate Enlargement (BPH). Accessed: 22 March 2022. https://mua.my/urologicalconditions/benign-prostate-enlargement/
2. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Prostate Enlargement (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia). Accessed: 22 March 2022. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/urologic-diseases/prostate-problems/prostateenlargement-benign-prostatic-hyperplasia
3. Ngai H-Y, et al. Asian J Urol. 2017;4(3):164–173.
4. Pintarelli VL, et al. Int Braz J Urol. 2011;37(6):758–765.
5. Mayo Clinic. Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) – Diagnosis & Treatment. Accessed: 23 March 2022. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/benign-prostatic-hyperplasia/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20370093
This is a disease awareness program supported by: ZP Therapeutics
For further information please contact your healthcare professional. This is an educational program for disease awareness supported by: ZP Therapeutics